University Anxiety

Welcome Forums Adult Forum University Anxiety

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Panda Panda 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I can never seem to shake off feelings of anxiety/stress! Whether I’m stressed about studying for an exam or finishing an assignment, I’m extremely anxious and nervous, and even after its finished I still feel major anxiety! Instead of feeling relieved or relaxed after I finish something, I continually feel as anxious!How can I feel stressed even when I knowingly have nothing to stress about? And how do I fix this?

SS Moderator
    SS Moderator

Many university students feel overwhelmed with pressure. Try to practice deep breathing a few times a day. This helps release more serotonin (the happy hormone), which in turn helps you stay calm and think positively. Anxiety is usually caused by patterns of exaggerated thinking where you imagine bad outcomes, rather than balanced thinking which keeps things in perspective. Ask yourself if you are viewing situations in a balanced way? Or are you making a monster out of a molehill? Try to tell yourself reassuring calming things like: “I did my best, I’ll probably do well in this”. Or  “there’s no point worrying about it now, I’ll deal with the grade when I get it”. A combination of balanced thinking and deep breathing will help you!

Panda
    Panda
    Adult

Hello vanillacupcake,

I face the same anxiety at times, especially the part where it wouldn’t go away even after I’m done. I’ve started trying something and it’s really worked, since I kept feeling stressed even after begin productive what I do now is write up a list of everything I need to get done with. After I finish it, I cross or tick it off the list, and this physical action of actually marking something as completed helped my brain accept that I was productive and managed to be done with work, which in turn eased my tension. Try it out and it might work for you too!

Also, always give yourself a chance to take a break and pause for a minute. If you’re continually in a rush to do things and don’t give your mind and body a break to relax, it will make you develop prolonged anxiety and even make your muscles tense. For example, you can work for 60-90 minutes, and then take at least a half hour break to maybe get a snack, watch or read something you enjoy, take a nice walk outside, talk and hang out with a family member or a friend, etc. And then you can go back and finish other work.

One last suggestion I have is sticking to a schedule; try to decide ahead of time what you’re planning on doing and for how long. The earlier you start working on something, the more time you have which gives you a better chance of taking it easy and not feeling like you need to rush through everything.

I hope this helps. Best of luck! And don’t worry, what you’re feeling is completely natural and happens to virtually all students.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.