parent of teen with social anxiety disorder

Welcome Forums Adult Forum parent of teen with social anxiety disorder

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by SS Moderator SS Moderator 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi,

I’m the mom of a 13 year old daughter with social anxiety disorder and depression. She has been receiving CBT for 4 months and has shown some improvements. But I am stuggling.

Now that the initial “crisis” is over (suicidal ideation) I am falling apart emotionally. And I am now at a loss as to how to parent! She has made a few gains and is seeing a couple of kids outside of school on occasion, but I know they will both be away for the summer. What do I do?

SS Moderator
    SS Moderator

Hello,

Your daughter is responding well to CBT – that’s great. If you are concerned about what will happen in the summer then consult with her therapist who can suggest effective strategies for your daughter. Remember that there can be ups and downs in therapy – good days and bad days. That is normal. As long as there is a general upwards trend.

Is there a support group for parents that you can join? Try utilizing some of the CBT techniques that your daughter is probably learning: deep breathing, mindfulness, exercise, positive social interactions. These will help you as well. Tell yourself that she’s getting better, but realistically, she may have some lapses – this is part of the journey. Stay realistic with your expectations and tell yourself that you are strong enough to help your daughter through this.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.