I don't know

Welcome Forums Teenager Forum I don't know

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  meyorkie 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

libra09
    Adult

Sometimes I wake up and am just really sad. I don’t know what it is, I’m happy with my life. I have a loving family and good friends but sometimes I have days where I just get so sad and dwell on every little thing that upsets me and I feel empty inside.

SS Moderator
    SS Moderator

Hi Libra09,

Sad feelings come from negative thoughts. When we dwell on negative thoughts, they start to grow inside our heads and take up a lot of space. They become bigger than they need to be, simply because we are feeding them by dwelling on them. Negative thinking usually falls into these categories:  self-criticism,  being unrealistically worried, thinking like a victim, or perfectionism.  Chances are you may be victimizing yourself by feeling  sorry for yourself, or you may be overly exaggerating situations which makes you unnecessarily anxious. You may be harsh on yourself, or you may have unrealistically high standards. Do you notice any of these patterns? We all tend to think in these ways sometimes, and it’s usually unhealthy because it leads to sadness or dissatisfaction

You say you have a loving family and good friends, but do you consciously notice these good parts of your life? Do you feed these good thoughts by dwelling on them? Good and bad thoughts can come into our heads randomly, but we can choose which thoughts to dwell on, and which ones to brush aside. Try to feed the good thoughts, focus more on them, talk about them, write about them, share them with others. The more you dwell on good thoughts, the more they will grow, changing your mood from sad to content. It helps to keep a diary of things you are grateful for -every night write down good memories from the day, and keep this diary handy.

It’s normal to be sad sometimes, because we face difficult situations. When you feel sad, validate your emotions by telling yourself it’s okay to feel down, and tell yourself that this will pass.  Don’t dwell on it too long though. Take out that diary and read what you’ve been writing: remind yourself of the good things in life. If you dwell on that, it will grow.

ggal
    Adult

I tend to have days of sadness too, even though I have a good life overall. One thing that helps me is this: when I have fun or feel happy, I write down what’s making me feel happy on a slip of paper. I have a big glass jar that I decorated. I put these slips of paper inside it, and read them when I’m feeling down. I play my favorite music when I need to open my jar, and also sometimes light a candle. It changes my mood cause it helps me remember what really matters.

Maybe your sadness is also stemming from boredom- which causes you to remember or fixate on sad things. Keep busy, or start a hobby to do that makes you happy: start watching a new tv series, learn a new skill, try out new recipes.

ss99
    Adult

Hi Libra09,

Sadness does stem from dwelling on negative thoughts and emotions. Perhaps go out for a jog or a bike ride, or do yoga every now and then, because physical activity is not only good for your body, but it’s good for your mind. It’s okay to feel sad, but when you do maybe listen to your favourite song or watch a funny tv show (eg. parks and recreation). Taking long baths and wearing your favourite outfit also helps.

But it’s also important to share your feelings, it’s never good to keep them bottled up inside. Whenever you’re sad talk to a friend or parent. You might not want to explain why or have a long conversation about it, but saying ‘I’m sad’ is enough. Contact comfort is also extremely important, get a long hug from a parent or a friend and you’ll see that you already feel better.

And in the end, always try and remember the happy memories and thoughts. Keeping a journal, or a photo album, or a video diary can help channel your positive thoughts and help you keep a happier mindset.

meyorkie
    Adult

Hi libra09,

Like the rest of the comments, sadness does root from being bored or negative thoughts. You could find a way in which you could let out those negative thoughts/feelings, such as writing them down, coloring, listening to music (if you’re feeling sad, don’t listen to sad music, try upbeat, and happy songs) or even talking to a close friend about what is bothering you.

A teacher always told me that we are like balloons. Every time something bad happens it blows our balloon and the more and more bad experiences/thoughts/feelings we have our balloon can only contain so much that we will reach our tipping point and blow up (just like a balloon when it’s filled too much).  This is why we should channel those negative thoughts and let out that air so our balloon is nice and small.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.