Bipolar Type II struggling

Welcome Forums Adult Forum Bipolar Type II struggling

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by SS Moderator SS Moderator 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I am bipolar type II and moved here in January. I found a great psychiatrist but we’ve been tweaking my medicines because I am having some adjustment problems as well. I wanted off cymbalta because its nasty effects when you for get to take it within a few hours of normal time. So we took me off of that and then I was crying every single day,  literally bursting into tears at anything, we had to leave a restaurant because there was nothing on the menu I could eat, which was unacceptable and my husband was having a hard time with it. So we put me on Prozac. That helped,  but I have still been having problems either being angry or sad not really any in between, so she decided to add Abilify to my already Prozac, Lithium, Lamictal, and Rivotril, and now I’m back to wanting to hurt myself like I used to years ago. I hit my head and arms and legs.  I don’t really know what to do all I know is that I don’t want anymore freaking medicine.

SS Moderator
    SS Moderator

Hello,

Bipolar disorder is one of the mental health conditions that requires long-term medication. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right combination that works for you, and it can be difficult to tolerate uncomfortable side-effects. As your body adjusts to the medication the side effects should reduce. Your psychiatrist should closely monitor your reactions to the meds, and adjust them accordingly. Try to be patient during this time, and try to accept the fact that medication is a must for treating bipolar disorder.

In addition to psychiatric treatment you should consider Cognitive Behavior Therapy, which is a form of talk therapy which will help you develop better coping tools for the strong angry and sad emotions that you are  experiencing. A CBT therapist will help you understand the link between thoughts, emotions and actions, and will help you develop adaptive thoughts that wont result in these mood swings. Other simple activities that help with mood regulation are exercise, deep breathing and meditation.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.