Am I normal

Welcome Forums Teenager Forum Am I normal

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I don’t understand why or how I don’t get depressed or feel sad when ever a loss someone I love, not like if they die no, if for example the leave or abandon me. And just wanted to know if this is normal, because I really loved those people. And others really expected some reaction from me but I felt nothing and had no reaction.

SS Moderator
    SS Moderator

Hello,

You mention that when someone you care about leaves you, you don’t feel sad. It’s possible that in your early years of life you experienced abandonment, rejection, or loss of some kind, but you conditioned yourself to not react to those events, by forcing yourself to stay numb. This could be a defense mechanism, or your way of protecting yourself emotionally. It’s possible that as a young child you were discouraged from expressing emotions, so you push them deep down, where they become sub-conscious. Another possibility is that you are genetically wired to not react emotionally to loss. Maybe one of your parents is like that, and you inherited the gene? It would be interesting to know what your other emotions are like. We all have an internal emotional regulation system, which develops uniquely based on genetics, early attachment, life experiences, and inherent personality. A combination of all these, affect how we respond emotionally. While your emotional response to loss doesn’t seem to be “normal”, it has probably developed that way for good reason, and somehow keeps you safe.

Anonymous

Hello,

Thank you for the helpful information, which made me <span id=”result_box” class=”short_text” lang=”en”><span class=””>notice that actually one of my parents does not show much of their emotion.  It’s kind of sad now but that’s what I inherited. lol
    </span></span>

Thank you every much.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.